The light-emitting diode (LED) is one of today’s most energy-efficient and rapidly-developing lighting technologies. While they do cost more upfront than traditional incandescent or halogen lights, they last a lot longer which means less buying and manufacturing which further reduces their impact on the environment.
LEDs use up to 90% less electricity which also means reducing the CO2 emissions that come with electricity production. They also don’t contain any harmful metals such as lead or mercury.
LED lighting is measured in lumens (the brightness of the light), while traditional lighting is measured in watts (the amount of energy in the light). When choosing a LED bulb, always check the lumens requiring the lowest number of watts.
Also available are LEDs which dim to a warmer and softer glow to reduce the exposure to excessive blue lights before sleeping.
NZ has been quick to adopt the benefits of LED with a number of Government led initiatives including; the NZ Transport Agency’s update to the nation’s road lighting network, the Ministry for the Environment (MFE) championing climate change initiatives and establishing Energywise.govt.nz to educate consumers on how to reduce household energy costs.
- Choose ‘warm white’ for a more comfortable light
- Choose ‘cool white’ for task lighting
- Residential interior and landscape lighting
- Office environments, factories and healthcare
- Retail and hospitality
- Roading and public facilities
Features & Benefits
- Energy saving – up to 90% less electricity than incandescent light bulbs
- Longer life span
- Improved light quality (brightness)
- Available in many different styles; standard lightbulbs, candles, striplights, spotlights and recessed downlights
- Safer as LED bulbs do not give out high temperatures when lit and are easier to handle
- Available in a range of colours
- No flicker
- LED light bulbs are made of non-toxic materials and are 100 per cent recyclable.
LED Lighting has made a huge impact on the sustainability movement.
For more information about energy saving benefits of LED lighting in your project visit:
Let Black Pine Architects assist you with incorporating this product into your next project.